Saturday, February 27, 2016

IVF drugs - the devil

I took a number of drugs over my IVF process - most of them, I believe, are pretty standard.
I thought I would take the time to explain each drug's purpose and my reaction to each - I hear some women cruise through. I'm not one of those women (such surprise).

Provera - This is the first tablet I was required to take. It regulates the period so that you can work in with the fs timeline. Some clinics don't require this. The first time I took it my period wouldn't come, the second time it came really early. I think the latter is better. Symptoms were really bad nausea.
Synarel - The synarel spray is sprayed up the nose twice daily. Yuck. Tastes foul and makes the nose all inflamed and irritated. I had massive headaches with synarel. That was the worst side effect. Also some nausea, but that could also have been the provera. This is to stop you from ovulating. You don't want to ovulate before they have a change to get to your eggs! (crazy the way they manipulate your body's cycle, hey?)
Gonal F - The dreaded injection. This is where I went wrong the first time - taking the wrong dose. I can assure you, though, that I was pretty careful every time thereafter! I had my husband give me the needle - I just couldn't stomach (pun intended) putting something sharp into my skin. I think it was good to get him involved also - I think he got some satisfaction out of being involved (let's face it - the male gets off pretty easy in the whole process!). During these injections I got so bloated. Your ovaries blow up to the size of oranges, filled with eggs. The nausea, sore boobs and exhaustion continued. Seriously, the side effects of IVF meds are the same as early pregnancy, which is kinda cruel really. It's the increase in hormones flooding through your body.
Ovidrel - The trigger. This does what it says - triggers ovulation. It is enormous & hurt! I used ice AFTER the needle, but would recommend icing the area first. I got mega bloated - my whole torso was blown up like a balloon - for a week following (I have OHSS - I'll explain in another post). 
Crinone - progesterone pessaries. These are used following transfer to help you get pregnant & stay that way. Obvs not the most comfortable, enjoyable experience, but no drama for me.

The day I used my last pessary I felt a wave of relief - no more meds for now. 
All worth it, of course. But makes you wonder why we are the ones put through this, when it comes so easily for others. I honestly don't know if I could do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment