Saturday, February 27, 2016

Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome

Pray you don't get this. Very very uncomfortable.
Following the Ovidrel trigger shot, and egg collection, I got so bloated I thought my stomach would burst through my skin. I looked pregnant (cruel!). I had trouble eating or drinking, as I was constantly full of fluid. They say to drink lots and lots of water to wash the hormones out, but that proved difficult.
The worst part was that it was pushing on my lungs. At night I felt like I was drowning. It's not that there was fluid on my lungs - but my stomach was pushing against them, making breathing shallow, and making me cough. So, I had to sleep sitting up. I didn't sleep much. One night I got husband to take me to ER as I was sure I was suffocating. I wasn't. There was nothing but time, and drinking water that could help.
And, sure enough, after about a week it went away.
I don't think there's any way to avoid this, but it can be dangerous - especially if you start throwing up and can't keep fluid down. Make sure to get it checked, just to be sure.
The day I woke up breathing freely, I cried with relief.
Not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment